04 September 2011

Winning at mutual friends

My day in Cascais, a western beach town, started with some handshake/cheek kissing confusion followed by a short walk from the train station to the waiting Volvo convertible. I forgave the awkwardness.

I had stopped in Cascais for about a half hour last week and saw the shopping streets. It seemed less than impressive. However, today Bernie and Tiago took me walking through a fantastic garden park, past restored fisherman houses, and to a great restaurant for lunch where I had a bunch of seafood in a copper pot. Then we hopped in the car for a ride along the coast with the top down. Thank you Emily, who was an Iowa student here last year, for making friends with the two most enjoyable Portuguese in existence--and giving me their phone number.


No comments: