16 September 2011

Everything is relative.

Every night I wish my window panes were thicker, or there were fewer freaking birthdays celebrated at exactly midnight at my local bar (with really a spirited version of our 'happy birthday' with some Portuguese words. . . . I'm quite sure they also wish a 'happy birthday' to _______).

But here officially ends my complaints about my neighborhood. A couple of students from the program arranged an apartment in what I, in my newly acquired mildly snobby attitude about my surroundings, I would call the suburbs. It's not. But calling it that give me a little bit of satisfaction since they live, oh, one stop outside of the center by metro. Still, to me (see above snobbery) that is out of the center.

At any rate, I was having lunch with two Americans in my Quantitative Methods class (best class ever). As happens abroad, they are both great dudes. There is a certain phenomenon about meeting people in long-term living abroad. They are always quality people. They told me about their pretty sizable (whoa), apartment in a nice neighborhood (ooooh) where they share the rent (aaaaaah).

Later they revealed that they hadn't been getting any sleep. . . because they found out they live above a nightclub.

Yelling down the street muffled by shutting my windows > bass so loud your house vibrates.

Now I must invite them over to brag. NO. Shit. I mean. . . . check out my neighborhood.

3 comments:

Alice said...

Thanks for helping me appreciate only have highway noise to shut out. I like to think of it as the "waterfall."

C.Wendell said...

Snobbery is the spice of life! And you should mention the increasingly improbable string of birthdays that have been celebrated in that bar in your statistics class. It seems to be approaching a number that would allow it to be officially classified as an "anomaly."

Also clearly the second snobbery reference should have used a supra.

K. Anderson said...

If ONLY the Bluebook rules were not outlawed on my blog.