08 September 2011

The actual Bicaense

I went on a tiny date with the Portuguese owner of my building. Well, first I made sure he didn't actually possess keys to my apartment, which would have made things quite weird.

We went to the bar Bicaense, that I heard is a great local artsy hangout--and perhaps prematurely the inspiration for the blog title, which just means a person from Bica. They have DJs, show movies some nights, and generally are laid back. Strangely, even though a lot of people are "at" the bar, no one is "in" the bar. The hip thing to do is to hang out on the street with your drinks and talk. So each and every bar as you walk down the main street (the steep street in my profile picture with the tram) is empty but the streets have clusters of happy hipsters enjoying the weather.

No comments: