20 September 2011

Not breaking the fourth wall--for once

I had an experience today that wasn't particularly fun, but gave me an idea about the difference between 'traveling' and 'living' somewhere. I pride myself on having lived in other countries instead of the usual checkmark one gives themselves for crossing the border. I have a hard time expressing the difference.

I often get bored in situations where I'm with locals and the conversation is in a language I don't understand.

I was sitting with locals today. They were speaking a language I didn't understand.

As I sat, I thought about the fact that this was a guy meeting up with his brother and his brother's girlfriend. He had to pass along laundry because his washer was broken. It occurred to me: this exact situation would have happened with our without me.

In travel, or even long-term stays, most of your activities are focused on you, your travel needs, and your entertainment. A guide takes you to a great site! (Wouldn't have happened without you visiting). A waiter at a cafe tells you the specials. (You are instigating behaviour). You ask an awesome local about where the best lookout is. (Not a conversation he'd have with himself). There is an entire world that you don't access. At this particular cafe with brothers, despite the lack of attention and the foreign language (filled, of course, with laughter that you'll never know wasn't directed at you, you paranoid idiot) this is a real, actual experience. You don't know what they are saying, but you are implanted in a Portuguese scene. Like a green 3D interactive green screen.

Oddly, the stand-alone Portuguese activities are not fun. It's much more exciting to have people catering to you, asking you where you are from, enjoying your silly American culture moments. It's boring to sit and wait for a conversation to finish. But something to appreciate nonetheless.

No comments: