01 September 2011

Travessa do Cabral




I took a bit of a chance on my apartment for the semester.

I hadn't had much luck finding anything and had resigned myself to the possibility that I might need to search for a room in someone else's apartment or a large apartment split into numerous student-occupied rooms. I finally got a call and set up a viewing of a studio apartment in Bica. I got to the house and nervously stood around with 7 other foreign-ish students. Running through my head was what exactly the apartment needed to have before I quickly said I'd take it--this seemed like a "first accepted first served". After a few, the landlord arrived to show us the apartment(s). Turns out every other person there was looking at single rooms in larger apartments going for about 200-250 euro, and I was the only one interested in the 450 euro studio. While the others scrambled to choose what looked like horribly small rooms with one sad common area to share between 8, I was taken up to my place.

I had to overlook a few things. The apartment smelled when I walked in. Hmmm. The futon and couch looked old. Hmmm. There was a bunch of stuff lying around, like food in the pantry, that made everything look disorganized and not very aesthetically pleasing. Hmmm.

But as is my trend, I usually get one call and I take it. I can live with a lot of oddities but I can't stand wasting weeks searching for the perfect place.

A few days later I'm in the apartment, and after a grueling bus trip to IKEA to drag home some household items I felt I couldn't live without, I'm happily home and comfortable.

Until today when I shorted out power running the washer and the stove at the same time . . .

1 comment:

Jan Anderson said...

Fabulous blog beginning! I'm so glad you are doing another!!

Your last sentence brings back shades of our first Sheboygan apartment. Ever frugal, we refrained from purchasing a stove and instead used a variety of small kitchen appliances (for 21 months). Happily, the circuit breaker box was close to the kitchen.