04 September 2011

Blending in?

Before moving here I had a goal that I thought would be difficult to obtain: blend in enough so that people would come up and speak to me in Portuguese. Goal attained already!

A woman on the bus complained to me about how hot it was on the bus (clues: it was hot on the bus. and she didn't sound happy. and was waving her hand in front of her face).

A woman crossing the street chatted with me about being impatient for the walk light to change (clues: really oddly long stop light. some kind of tsking noise followed the comments).

A girl at the train station asked if the train near us was headed to Lisbon (clues: at that exact moment I was confused about whether this train was heading to Lisbon and really wanted to ask her).

Two old drunk men at the train station talked to me about. . . wow I really had no clue on that one and frankly I just tried to pretend it wasn't happening.

So I've had to make a new goal. Judging by how many tourists walk through (or I should say up and down) my neighborhood, I now want someone to take a picture of me. I think my best bet is while hanging laundry on the clothesline outside my 3rd floor windows.

No comments: